"Jazz" in today's LA TIMES

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 24 20:52:15 UTC 2003

Origins of 'jazz' thrown a curve ball  (08/24/03)

   This is on www.latimes.com.  I'm not a subscriber so I can't get it.  The article doesn't appear to be on LEXIS/NEXIS or PROQUEST just yet.

OT, MISC.
   This month, when the New Orleans Fair Grounds filed for bankruptcy, I wrote to the NEW ORLEANS TIMES-PICAYUNE once more about the New Orleans origin of "the Big Apple."  No reply.  I had written to the newspaper years ago when "Big Apple Corner" was being passed by the NY City Council.  The story just simply can't be mentioned in THE NEW YORK TIMES or the NEW ORLEANS TIMES-PICAYUNE during my lifetime.  Living witnesses simply can't be looked for and must be allowed to die.
   I also wrote this month to the LOS ANGELES TIMES about "jazz."  That story is there today.  My name never appears.
   The reason I didn't check the ProQuest database before George Thompson, besides the fact that I thought Fred Shapiro had already looked, is because I'm doing parking tickets much of this summer.  Life doesn't get any worse than a summer of nonstop parking tickets, ten hours a day.  Yesterday, my doorman added that I'm fat...