1912 "jazz (ball)"--further look at its coiner, Benny Henderson

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Sun Aug 24 22:05:52 UTC 2003

>      Conclusion: The April 2 (and April 3) 1912 _LA Times_ mentions of
> his "jazz/"jass" ball remain isolated and *not* the source of "Scoop"
> Gleeson's use of the term in early March 1913.

I have to go with John Baker on this one. Yes, it is likely that Benny
Henderson's "jazz ball" did not directly inspire Gleeson's use of "jazz" the
next year. But given Henderson's usage, it seems likely that "jazz" was a
term used by Pacific Coast League players c.1912. (Note, "jazz ball" is
isolated, "jazz" is not.)

The only part of the Gleeson story that this seems to contradict is the part
about Slattery learning the word at a craps game. And this may not even be a
contradiction. Perhaps Slattery did hear the term used during a craps
game--perhaps a game with other sportswriters and players. Or perhaps
Gleeson just misremembered this detail. Either way, we simply cannot dismiss
a use of "jazz" by a Pacific Coast League player a year before Gleeson's use
by simply saying it is an isolated example.

So what do we have? "Jazz" began to be used by players in the PCL in 1912.
The L.A. Times story of Henderson's "jazz ball" is the first known published
use of the word. It is clear that the L.A. Times reporter was unfamiliar
with the word, but it is unlikely that Henderson coined it. Henderson
probably just used a term he had heard other players use. The term remained
in limited use in 1912 without anyone else taking notice of it. During 1913
spring training, Gleeson began using it--influenced by Slattery's and
perhaps others' use of the word. Other writers picked up on Gleeson's use of
the term. Also, at the same time, the word became associated with Art
Hickman and his music because of Hickman's playing at the Seals training
camp.