Hungry: Stomach thinks throat's been cut

Jonathon Green slang at ABECEDARY.NET
Mon Aug 25 09:58:26 UTC 2003

>    I told cookbook seller Bonny Slotnick about "makes your tongue slap your throat," and she gave me "so hungry your stomach thinks your throat's been cut."  It appears to be Ozzie.

Not quite. Dinner is being served, and Mr. Neverout, without waiting for fellow guests,  starts eating.

1738 Swift Polite Conversation (in Works 1766 vol. XI) 177: Miss. What; Mr. Neverout, you are in great haste; I believe your belly thinks your throat's cut.

1785 Grose Classical Dict. of the Vulgar Tongue n.p My guts begin to think my throat’s cut.

etc. etc.

Jonathon Green