Casting the Net (was "the miscast Net")

Thomas M. Paikeday thomaspaikeday at SPRINT.CA
Mon Aug 25 15:39:17 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "James C. Stalker" <stalker at MSU.EDU>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2003 10:08 PM
Subject: Re: the miscast Net

header -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "James C. Stalker" <stalker at MSU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: the miscast Net
-----

> I would hazard a guess that my undergrad students would likely put
"internet" at the top of the list, but I will meet them on Tuesday, and I
will ask.  Do you have  specific wording for the question that would most
likely get to where you want to go?

    ANSWER:

    Thanks, Jim.

    Any wording in a natural context (say, at the water cooler, but with a
larger audience     so as to kill many birds with one stone) should be OK.
In the original wording, "in         isolation" (as Arnold Zwicky pointed
out) may be nonproductive. Also futile would be     specifying the context
too closely and leading questions such as "What does the word     'net' mean
to you when seated at your computer?"

    TOM PAIKEDAY
    www.paikeday.net

> Jim Stalker
>
> "Thomas M. Paikeday" wrote:
>
> > My earlier query about "the Net" was misdirected. Databases can't answer
my question because their evidence is like that of a museum, not quite dead,
but static, not dynamic, as the fast-changing English language is,
especially in regard to usage.

> > I happen to be leading the life of medieval monks, especially Trappists
and Cistercians, with no communication with the outside world. But SOME OF
YOU PROFESSORS OUT THERE must be in touch (in spite of the summer) with
groups of young students. So here is the question again: