Mimolette Cheese (1970);  Please Kill Me (continued)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Aug 29 03:41:38 UTC 2003

MIMOLETTE CHEESE

   "Mimolette" cheese is not in the revised OED.  There are over 3,000 Google hits.  I haven't re-checked my cheese files.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
      A Definitive Study -- From A to V -- of Cheese
       By ANDREAS FREUNDSpecial to The New York Times.       New York Times  (1857-Current file).       New York, N.Y.: Jun 1, 1971.                   p. 34 (1 page) :
   General de Gaulle's favorite cheese was La Mimolette, a French variety of a top Dutch cheese.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
      Pompidou's Ascent Seemed Effortless-Even to Him
       By Ronald KovenWashington Post Staff Writer.       The Washington Post, Times Herald  (1959-1973).       Washington, D.C.: Feb 23, 1970.                   p. A23 (2 pages)
 First Page:
   Former President Charles de Gaulle nicknamed his favorite cheese, mimolette, "Pompidou" because "it is soft on the oustide, and firm inside."

PLEASE KILL ME (continued, of course)

   The cover story in this week's NEW YORK PRESS (www.nypress.com) is "Please Kill Me."  It turns out that it wasn't the story of my life.  It's about the overrated writer Chuck Klosterman.  Chuck Klosterman recently wrote an article for the city section of the NEW YORK TIMES on what it's like to live in New York City and be Chuck Klosterman.
   I could write a letter to the editor about the below, and tell them that I'm Barry Popik, who solved both the "Big Apple" and the "Windy City."  I could provide tons of evidence.  They'd never believe me, and it'd never get published.
   Ten more hours of parking tickets tomorrow.  Maybe I'll get the room with no air again.  I don't deserve air.

The Atlanta Journal and Constitution
August 25, 2003 Monday Home Edition
SECTION: Features; Pg. 6C; NEWS FOR KIDS

LENGTH: 350 words

HEADLINE: Cities, like people, have nicknames

BYLINE: MARK WOOLSEY

SOURCE: For the Journal-Constitution

 BODY:
Whether you stayed at home or traveled a long way this summer, you probably spent time in a city with a nickname or motto.

You may know that New York is called the Big Apple and Chicago is the Windy City.

Sometimes mottoes just sort of happen, when people start using a nickname. Other times, a famous resident or the city or Chamber of Commerce will pick out a motto.

They do it for different reasons. Sometimes it's just to make people feel good. Other times, it's to attract business.

"Atlanta has been a pioneer in slogans," said Clifford Kuhn, who teaches Georgia history at Georgia State University. He said that in the 1920s, Atlanta placed ads in magazines and used "Forward Atlanta" to get new businesses to move in. That was pretty unusual back then. Mottoes often let people know about local products. In Georgia, Albany boasts about being the Pecan Capital of the World.

There are several stories about how New York got the nickname the Big Apple. One says it's because businessmen sold apples on the street to try to feed their families and pay rent when many people went broke in the 1930s. Another story says jazz musicians always thought that getting a job in New York was tops, "the big apple" of playing music.

Then there's Chicago, the Windy City. Most people think that slogan refers to the weather. But some disagree. A New York newspaper editor reportedly got tired of Chicago's leaders bragging about the big Centennial Fair there in 1893. He said they talked so much about it they were "windy," so maybe that's the real reason it got the nickname.