"at" at the end of a where phrase

Dale Coye Dalecoye at AOL.COM
Wed Dec 3 03:24:22 UTC 2003

One of my NJ students (Asian-American) wrote these two sentences in a paper I
just read:

"As I entered the school, I went to the office where I was supposed to check
in at.  I checked in and the secretary took me to a room where I was needed
at."

I was surprised to find this in a more or less formal paper.  We had "this
place is where it's at" in the 60s.. DARE has examples from the South and
Midlands with some NY examples, but most of the examples are of the "where are you
at?" variety--maybe this construction is taking off.

Dale Coye
The College of NJ