How to Speak Chocolatese (Gianduja)

Mark A. Mandel mamandel at UNAGI.CIS.UPENN.EDU
Thu Dec 4 17:32:58 UTC 2003

Barry wrote:

HOW TO SPEAK CHOCOLATESE

   I speak the rare Cadburian dialect.  From Wednesday's NEW YORK TIMES:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/03/dining/03CGLO.html
Glossary: How to Speak Chocolatese

ALLOTIN The traditional long, deep box used for packing chocolates in
Europe.

        <<<

                        GHOST WORD ALERT!

This looked wrong to me, because of all the time////money I've spent
hanging out at Godiva stores. The word is "ballotin". The Times's web
article begins with a large drop capital "B" as a graphic, which did not
copy into Barry's text. The loss wasn't noticeable in the quote because
the next word is "bloom", so the change of "ballotin" to *"allotin"
didn't disrupt the alphabetical order.

These drop caps are common in web articles, and one just has to be alert
for them.

-- Mark A. Mandel