"Nice Guys Finish Last" (1946); Long Ball (1920); Where's my "boner"?

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Dec 8 19:45:23 UTC 2003

NICE GUYS FINISH LAST

   For the possible interest of anyone writing a quotations dictionary.  The
entire story is here on www.paperofrecord.com.

   17 July 1946, SPORTING NEWS, pg. 8, col. 1:
_"Nice Guys" Wind Up in Last Place, Scoffs Lippy_
By FRANK GRAHAM
Of New York Journal-American

LONG BALL

   A nice guy at OED asked about this.

   24 June 1920, SPORTING NEWS, pg. 4, col. 6:
   He will drive a long ball to any field now and then, but center is his
"groove."

   9 December 1920, SPORTING NEWS, pg. 1, col. 4:
   As he can still hit as good as ever, he may do a Babe Ruth in the Pacific
Coast League, as the Salt Lake park and several other parks on the circuit are
said to be highly advantageous to "long ball" hitters.

   7 July 1921, SPORTING NEWS, pg. 1, col. 6:
   Perhaps Rapp will find his batting eye to the half portion park here, so
accommodating and friendly to a player who hits a long ball.

   28 December 1922, SPORTING NEWS, pg. 4, col. 6:
   The pitcher can take a chance--no great chance at that--with a weak
hitter, a man who will not hit a long ball, that he dare not take with men like
Tobin, Blue, et al., who, at any time, are liable to bury that ball in the stands
for a home run.

WHERE'S MY BONER?

   I can't get a "boner" reading the SPORTING NEWS.  This is terrible.
   Nor a "bone head."
   Nor a "jinx."
   Nor a "seventh inning stretch."
   Nor a "winning isn't everything."