in case you were wondering if "McJob" really, really IS a word...

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Dec 8 21:28:19 UTC 2003

At 3:23 PM -0500 12/8/03, Robert Hartwell Fiske wrote:
>It may be a word, but it's a miserable one.
><A HREF="http://www.vocabula.com/FreeArticles/VRAUGUST03Fiske.htm">

In the eye of the beholder, I guess.  I find it a witty and useful
coinage myself.  The nice thing about words is that in general nobody
will force you to use one you don't like.  If you choose to avoid
referring to dead-end jobs with low salaries, few intrinsic rewards,
and no opportunity for advancement "McJobs" and prefer instead to
refer to them more elegantly as "dead-end jobs with low salaries, few
intrinsic rewards, and no opportunity for advancement", far be it
from me to object.

larry