for basketball fans

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Mon Dec 8 21:36:23 UTC 2003

>1978 N.Y. Times 16 Jan. C12/4 John Moore, a junior guard...played the
>point in the zone defense that forced 19 Razorback turnovers.

>Does this quotation indicate that John Moore is playing a position in
>the zone defense referred to as the "point"?
Yes.
>or is he defending the
>other team's point guard?
No.
He's the guy who brings the ball downcourt and can set up a play (back in the olden days, they would even hold up a finger to designate which play the team should run. I think that went out the window with the Bulls --just pass it to Jordan-- and the Jazz--everybody to one side, then Stockton to Malone).
fritz