Antedating of "A.A."

Tue Dec 9 16:02:53 UTC 2003

I looked through the 4th edition of a book called ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS that
was first published in April 1939. On page 163 I find this at the beginning of
the second paragraph break:

"We know of an A.A. member who was living in a large community. ..."

I believe if you check the first edition, you will find the identical
wording. This seems to push back the antedating of "A.A." for the organization to
1939.

I suspect that early A.A. literature -- possibly even the book itself --
might push the date for the use of "A.A." to designate members (as opposed to the
organization) to 1939 as well.