Re:       Re: McMansions (was: Boughten bread)

Wed Dec 10 17:32:42 UTC 2003

In a message dated 12/10/03 12:27:37 PM, fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU writes:

> I think the "Mc" in McMansion must be inspired by the cookie-cutter nature
> of the houses, since grandiosity or size are not particularly associated
> with McDonald's.

But perhaps just as fast food could be thought of as a kind of a cheap
imitation of "real" food, so are small houses with pillars and porticos a kind of
cheap imitation of "real" mansions. This would work for the US usage, at any
rate.