Boughten bread

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Wed Dec 10 23:52:27 UTC 2003

"Boughten" is cited in Atwood's _Survey of Verb Forms in the Eastern
U.S._  as an older, "less-cultured" form but common in New England, less
common in the Middle and South Atlantic states.  He said "no cultured
informant" in the MAS or SAS used it.  Shades of my South Dakota-born but
"cultured" h.s. English teacher.  In fact, Atwood says Raven McDavid would
hear it spontaneously used, but when he questioned people about it they
denied using it--just like Fritz's class.  But both cited it in adjectival
use only, not as the participial verb; I've never heard the latter
either.  It's a kind of regularizing of the irregular though, isn't
it?  "Store-bought" strikes me as more Western, as Peter and Jim note.

Beverly