LSSU Word Banishment

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Thu Dec 11 16:47:55 UTC 2003

        The strategy doesn't seem to be very effective, if they had to outlaw live audience three times.  Could it be that that's because live audience is a useful phrase after all, distinguishing a live audience from a televised audience?  Forced relaxation and minor emergency clinic are also useful terms, and I rather like my bad.

        In other words, I am not entirely sympathetic with the LSSU's list.  It may be an effective public relations strategy for them, though.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: Jesse Sheidlower [mailto:jester at PANIX.COM]
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2003 11:39 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: LSSU Word Banishment

Forwarded from John Shibley of LSSU.

----- Forwarded message from John Shibley <jshibley at lssu.edu> -----

        Words and phrases outlawed in previous years include: My
Bad  (`98), Forced Relaxation  (`89), Free Gift  (`88), Live
Audience  (`83, `87, `90), and Minor Emergency Clinic  (86 and 90). Last
year's list featured "peel-and-eat shrimp," the noun-modifier "extreme,"
and the elusive redundancy "undisclosed, secret location."