LSSU Word Banishment

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Dec 11 23:58:58 UTC 2003

At 2:43 PM -0800 12/11/03, FRITZ JUENGLING wrote:
>I think you've missed the point, Larry.  It's not  peel vs. shell or
>whether they have shells.
>The issue was that after you peel them, you DO eat them--you just
>don't peel them for fun and leave them on your plate.  Why do you
>need to be told to eat them?
>Fritz

Well, I'm not sure about that.  Should "Spray and Wash" be just
called "Spray" because of course you're going to wash your clothes
after spraying them (and not just spray them and put them back on)?
How about "Wash 'n' Wear" clothes--should they just be called "Wash"
clothes?  I think the idea here might be that you X them and then you
immediately can and do Y them.  Scratch 'n' sniff movie cards.
Scratch 'n' play lotto tickets.  Surely there must be an _American
Speech_ paper on these formations in commercial English?

Larry