Shapiro, Miller in Sunday's NY Times

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Dec 13 04:44:45 UTC 2003

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/14/magazine/14ONLANGUAGE.html

Those of us in the phrasal etymological dodge cannot rely on anybody's
recollection; citations are the thing. My researcher, Kathleen Miller, accepted the
mission and enlisted the aid of Fred R. Shapiro, who as editor of the Yale
Dictionary of Quotations touches all the scholarly databases. Fred came up with
several uses in the late 1970's in business publications. In the Winter 1977
issue of the California Management Review, William Matthews and Wayne Boucher
wrote critically of a company that ''continues to attempt to achieve the
established objectives -- way past the point at which, if the company had had a
'planned exit strategy,' it would have decided to terminate the venture.''

At that point I would have emitted a gleeful aha!, but Miller kept coming up
with the use of the phrase by economists who cited a seminal 1970 book by
Albert O. Hirschman about three strategies: ''Exit, Voice and Loyalty.'' According
to a 2001 paper presented at a California conference by the Moscow economist
Vadim Radaev, Hirschman postulated three strategies to deal with uncertainty
caused by new formal rules: the voice strategist publicly questions the orders,
the loyalty strategist complies and the exit strategist avoids the new rules.

(...)

   Congratulations to Kathleen Miller and Fred Shapiro.