Spider Hole (1941, 1970)

Seán Fitzpatrick grendel.jjf at VERIZON.NET
Mon Dec 15 17:47:11 UTC 2003

In Vietnam, a camouflaged cover or lid was an essential element of a spider hole, distinguishing it from a fox hole.  In the ideal, what makes a spider hole a spider hole is that one could stand on top of it and not see it, and yet the occupant could quickly pop up the lid, shoot, and drop the lid back down.

Bunkers, always covered, could be camouflaged, too, but they were distinguished from fox holes and spider holes by being larger and usually reinforced. It will warm the cockles of many a heart on this list to know that these terms were not used with scientific rigor either in the field or as translated in the press.

>From descriptions of Saddam's hiding place, I'd say it could be called a bunker, but spider hole seems more appropriate.  How about updating "priest hole" to "tyrant hole"?

Incidentally, is "camofleur" in the 1941 citation correct, anywhere?  The French for "to camouflage (disguise)" is "camoufler".  AHD4 has "camouflager" as the English for "one who camouflages".

Seán Fitzpatrick
Violence may not solve things, but it can sure as hell settle them.
----- Original Message -----

From: Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sent: Sunday, 14 December, 2003 22:13
Subject: Spider Hole (1941, 1970)

(PROQUEST)
   Photo Standalone 1 -- No Title
The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Jan 16, 1941. p. 2 (1 page):
   _SPIDER HOLE_--Soldiers at Camp Ord, Calif., one of the Nation's largest Military encampments, are learning to be expert camofleurs.  Here two of the men demonstrate the Army's new "spider hole" method of hiding a soldier.  Top--Corpl. George Jones points to the place where Private Dennis Duniphin is concealed.  Lower--Up pops Duniphin, ready for action.