Nose Guard (1966) and Nose Tackle (1977)

Sam Clements sclements at NEO.RR.COM
Tue Dec 16 23:29:02 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: <Bapopik at AOL.COM>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 2:15 AM
Subject: Nose Guard (1966) and Nose Tackle (1977)

22 October 1966, SPORTING NEWS, pg. 37, col. 1:
Gossett is especially proud of LaGrones's starring role in his movies
because at "nose" guard, usually defenders are lost in the trenches of line
play.

>    24 October 1966, CHILICOTHER CONSTITUTION-TRIBUNE (Chilicothe,
Missouri),
> pg. 2?, col. 7:
>    The early loss of nose guard Granville Liggins hurt the Sooners.
>
>    10 December 1966, SPORTING NEWS, pg. 7, col. 2:
>    Nose guard John LaGrone has already been named to most of the All-
(Col.
> 3--ed.) America teams,...
>
>    8 December 1977, CHRONICLE-TELEGRAM (Elyria, Ohio), pg. D-10, col. 1
(AP
> football story):
>    "It's become a tighter race, but it's still ours to win," New Orleans
nose
> tackle Jim Wilks said.

  "Nose tackle" does appear in Ancestry just a tiny bit earlier, you just
have to tweak the engine a bit.

Using my "The Football Encyclopedia" by Neff and Cohen, I looked at the
rosters of teams year by year before and including 1977.  While I can find
'NT' next to two names on the roster of the 1974 New England Patriots,
trying to link their names with 'nose tackle' in Ancestry newspapers
produced no hits.  Using other 'NT' names in later years produced nothing
until October 23, 1977, The Marion(OH) Star, page 24, col. 6.

     <<Nose tackle Ruben Carter heads the vaunted Denver defensive front,
.....>>

I think that if you look at a program for the New England Patriots from the
1974 season, you might find 'NT' listed beside the names of Ray Hamilton and
Art Moore.  Why they were the first team to list such is unknown(to me).

SC

The first use of