Sky Hook (1971)

James Knight, MLIS jlk at 3GECKOS.NET
Fri Dec 19 05:37:46 UTC 2003

Perhaps...

<<< snip >>>

The Times, Tuesday, Aug 25, 1953; pg. 3; Issue 52709; col D
Launching Rockets From Balloons Cheaper Research At High Altitudes FROM OUR
SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT.

"Dr. Van Allen explained that a small rocket weighing 200lb., carrying 30lb
of scientific equipment, could be lifted to 70,000ft. by suspending it from
a plastic balloon of the "sky-hook" type, and then automatically released
to continue its upward journey under its own power."

<<< snip >>>

Other examples abound, but have little to do with basketball.

At 08:49 PM 12/18/03, you wrote:
>Not basketball, but I think I remember seeing it in 50s or 60 science
>fiction, probably Robert Heinlein or Arthur C. Clark.
>Dave Hause, dwhause at jobe.net
>Ft. Leonard Wood, MO

James L. Knight
Pourvoyeur et Chef du Cuisine, Chateau des Trois Geckos

"This is the sort of English up with which I will not put."
_ Winston Churchill _

jlk at 3geckos.net
http://www.3geckos.net
360 378 9254