"A hole big enough to drive a truck through" (1922)

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Fri Dec 19 18:59:44 UTC 2003

        Many of the citations seem to be to "coach and six" or "coach and four."  It is often cited to Macaulay's History of England for driving a coach and six through an Act of Parliament, but appears to be older.  From the Gutenberg edition of Sheridan's The Critic, first performed in 1779:

>>_Probe_. I wish he was run through the heart, and I should
get the more credit by his cure. Now I hope you are satisfied?
Come, now let me come at him--now let me come at him.--
[_Viewing his wound._] Oops I what a gash is here! why, sir,
a man may drive a coach and six horses into your body.<<

John Baker