What is Earliest Musical Usage of "Jazz"?

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sat Dec 20 19:38:00 UTC 2003

Fred Shapiro today sent two messages about the possible earliest
musical usage of "jazz" coming about April 29 and Sept. 30, 1916.
Below my signoff is Fred's first message and then a reprint of a few
earlier messages. Musical "jazz" may go back to 1915, but I'm not
sure if there's hard evidence of this.

Gerald Cohen

*******