Pimiento Cheese (1910); Sick kitten to a hot brick (1849)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Dec 21 03:50:39 UTC 2003

PIMIENTO CHEESE

   Earlier this year, I received an order for "pimiento cheese."  It was said that "pimiento cheese sandwiches" were very popular at the Augusta National.

   29 July 1910, AUGUSTA CHRONICLE, pg. 8, col. 3 (Ad for J. L. Janes & Co. on Broad Street--ed):
PIMIENTO CHEESE, you know how fine it is.  This is good.
2 for...25c

   24 November 1931, AUGUSTA CHRONICLE, pg. col. 1 (Ad for Butch Easterling's Place on Sand Bar Ferry Road--ed.):
Toasted Pimento Cheese Sandwiches, Large Size...10c

   13 December 1962, AUGUSTA CHRONICLE, third section, pg. 1C, col. 1 photo caption:
   PIMIENTO CHEESE SANDWICHES WITH CRABMEAT CHUNKS FOR THE HOLIDAYS

   4 September 1969, AUGUSTA CHRONICLE-HERALD, pg. 2 (third section?), col. 1:
_Classic recipe_
_gets new treat_
By CECILY BROWNSTONE
   _Porch Snack_
   A classic vanilla fudge recipe is treated to almonds.
Pimiento Cheese Sandwiches
Fudge Thinsies
Iced Tea

SICK KITTEN TO A HOT BRICK

LIGHT ON DARK PLACES AT PANAMA
by An Isthmian Stenographer (Mary A. Chatfield--ed.)
New York: Broadway Publishing Co.
1908

Pg. 40:  Another Texan I met boarded where I did in New Haven, which was favored by his presence, as he attended the Yale Law School.  He had wild, chrysanthemum hair and prominent ears.  I have not the remotest idea what his name was, for every one called him Texas.  He sat gazing at me one day at dinner, finally breaking out with, "Miss Chatfield, did you ever love a man right hard?"  "Did you ever feel like a sick kitten hugging up tew a hot brick?" he inquired, amid shouts of laughter from the other folks at the table.  This was only one of his many wonderful remarks.

   A sick kitten hugging up to a hot brick?  WHAT DO THEY TEACH AT YALE LAW SCHOOL?  Was this how Hillary met Bill?
   An OED "sick kitten" search wasn't the cat's meow.

(GOOGLE)
John Palmer, San Francisco Medicine, 1849
... round the lashes," -- it is usual to describe his condition by a feline figure;
he is said to "cuddle up to her like a sick kitten to a hot brick." But the ...
search.ancestry.com/db-calbk144/P113.aspx - Similar pages

Definitions
... conservative as: "a businessman's candidate, hovering around the status
quo like a sick kitten around a hot brick.". Modern conservatives ...
www.theinternetparty.org/etc/ index.php?section_type=etc&cat_name=Definitions - 37k - Cached - Similar pages

type_Document_Title_here
... I do not know what he want(ed) to ask her that for she has told him time and again
that she loves him better than a "sick kitten loves a hot brick." I have ...
www.hal-pc.org/~jdm/letters/18820326ltr.html - 8k - Cached - Similar pages

The Mediadrome - History - Quotes of the Day: Conservatism
... M. "...a businessman's candidate, hovering around the status quo like
a sick kitten around a hot brick.". William Allen White 1916. M. ...
www.themediadrome.com/content/articles/ words_articles/Quotes/conservatism.htm - 21k - Cached - Similar pages

all things William
... Bill Weaver. . . . a businessman's candidate, hovering around the
status quo like a sick kitten around a hot brick. ~ William Allen ...
www.allthingswilliam.com/politics.html - 33k - Cached - Similar pages

(WRIGHT AMERICAN FICTION)
Byrn, M. Lafayette (1826-1903): The Life and Adventures of an Arkansaw Doctor (1851) 1 match in 1 of 178 pages
CHAPTER VI.
until a report was out that she had a new suitor, and people said that she leaned up to him like a sick kitten to a hot rock, as though she had never cared anything for me. / It looked hard to a

Fifteen minutes around New York
Foster, George G.,
New York : DeWitt & Davenport, 1854.
Pg. 106:  Go to any theatre in New York, and you will find every other women in the house, minus the old and ugly, with the arm of the next gentleman round her neck, and frequently the fingers tucked under her off shoulder, while the inconscious creature, looking as if butter wouldn't melt in her mouth, leans up against the many breast, "like a sick kitten to a hot brick."

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES ONLINE)
ROUND-THE-WORLD JOE.; IV. KEEPING IT UP.
George Eager. Our Young Folks. An Illustrated Magazine for Boys and Girls (1865-1873). Boston: May 1867. Vol. 3, Iss. 5; p. 257 (9 pages)
(Somewhere here--ed.)

True to 'Mandy Collins; Jim's Loyalty. Puck
Current Literature (1888-1912). New York: May 1894. Vol. Volume XV, Iss. Number 5; p. 437 (1 page):
   "I did, Colonel--a fine gal down the crick.  I sot right up to her, like a sick kitten to a hot brick, for a whole week, when one day 'long came 'Mandy, and I axed her ag'in."