Canned Willie (1901); Canned Cow (1911)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Dec 27 12:51:08 UTC 2003

CANNED WILLIE

   Still earlier for  "Willie," or corned beef hash in a can.  I don't know
what the HDAS has, but it has 1909 for "Bill."

   8 October 1901, NEWARK DAILY ADVOCATE (Newark, Ohio), pg. 4, col. 1:
_LETTER_
_From David R. Williams Formerly of_
   _Newark, Now Corporal in the U._
   _S. Cavalry._
(...)
   Fort Keogh, Mont., Sept. 28
(...)
   We had no sickness on our trip, but had a hard time to get enough hard
tack and (Col. 2--ed.) canned willie, as it is called here; ...

CANNED COW

   The HDAS has 1925 for "canned condensed milk."  The CASSELL DICTIONARY OF
SLANG doesn't have a (canned) cow.

   29 August 1911, STEVENS POINT DAILY JOURNAL (Stevens Point, Wisconsin),
pg. 3?, col. 3:
   "If you fellers has got airy milk and sugar 'n' will pass out some coffee
with 'em, I'll be mighty glad yer come.  Hog and hominy's all right for a
spell, but it gets sickenin'.  Got er plug o' terbaccy?"
   Not only did Frank get out the canned cow and sugar, but he made biscuits
in the Dutch oven and the eyes of the hunters fairly glistened at visions of
the feast.

(The same article is in the SHEBOYGAN PRESS, 13 September 1911--ed.)