"All That Jazz" (1929)

Jonathon Green slang at ABECEDARY.NET
Sun Dec 28 12:02:43 UTC 2003

I'm loathe to quibble, and no-one is keener to give due plaudits to Barry's
discoveries, but could not the 'jazz' in this cite be no more than jazz as
played, as in 'all that jazz [music that there is in the movie].' I haven't
seen 'Girls Gone Wild' (I haven't _heard_ of GGW) but with that reference to
the 'recklessness of modern youth' it sounds suspiciously like a precursor
of all those Fifties teen titles in which rock 'n' roll, rather than jazz,
was seen as the end of the world as we know it, but which, with its audience
aforethought, invariably had loads of the music in question. So, as I say,
might the phrase not be literal, rather than figurative?

Jonathon Green