"All That Jazz" (1929)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Dec 28 20:55:33 UTC 2003

In a message dated 12/28/2003 9:51:40 AM Eastern Standard Time,
douglas at NB.NET writes:

> >THE NEW WEEK'S BILLS; METROPOLITAN EARLE PALACE LITTLE THEATER THE STRAND
> >FOX COLUMBIA
> >By NELSON B. BELL.. The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Jun
> >3, 1929. p. 16 (1 page):
> >    _FOX_
> >    "GIRLS GONE WILD."  A William Fox sound picture, featuring Sue Carol
> > and Nick Stuart...
> >-------------------
> >    While there is some justification for the title--in a nice way--this
> > picture is by no means so tawdry as its name implies.  Not that it is any
> > great shakes as drama, but combined with what threatened to be merely
> > another exploitation of the recklessness of modern youth there is a bit
> > of high-power police stuff that partially takes the curse off all that
> jazz.
> >
> >Bob Addie's Column . . .
> >The Washington Post and Times Herald (1954-1959). Washington, D.C.: Sep
> >13, 1957. p. A19 (1 page)
>
> What is the date of the quotation, please? June 3, 1929? Sep. 13, 1957?
>
> -- Doug Wilson

   The date is June 3, 1929.  The next "all that jazz" in the WASHINGTON POST
is in "Bob Addie's column," September 12, 1957--twenty-eight years later.  I
felt that it was necessary to show the gap here.  We have slightly earlier
1950s citations for "all that jazz," but not by much.

Barry Popik