"Best things in life are free" (1917) & more phrases

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Dec 29 01:42:38 UTC 2003

RANDOM HOUSE DICTIONARY OF
AMERICA'S POPULAR PROVERBS AND SAYINGS
by Gergory Titelman
second edition
New York: Random House
2000

   I've mentioned and destroyed much of the work here before.  I'll use
Newspaperarchive.com to search relevant phrases here.

AS MAINE GOES, SO GOES THE NATION

   Pg. 14.  Titleman has 1888.  Something like it was used in 1840.  "Nation"
has replaced "Union"--again, you have to search for as few words as possible.

Hamilton Daily Republican - 9/21/1894
...KOVK TKfK. [Catholic Telegraph.] "AS MAINE GOES, so GOES the Union" will
undoubtedly.....the laughing stock of the entire Country, AS it nearly always h
AS been. It wAS not to.....Protective ASsociation is disgraceful AS it is
demagogical, and the demand for a..
Hamilton, Ohio Friday, September 21, 1894  690 k

Burlington Hawk Eye - 9/17/1874
...from MAINE? And don't you know that AS MAINE GOES so tho Union? The wires
bring us.....on enjoying their rights. The people of MAINE see this, and their
glorious vic tory.....to ber home to work for her parents, or GOES away with
her to work in a new home of.....Iowa will follow the good ex ample get by
MAINE, and when the polls close on the second..
Burlington, Iowa Thursday, September 17, 1874  757 k

Decatur Daily Republican - 9/20/1882
...that direction. POLITICAL NOTES. AS MAINE GOES so GOES the Union. THE
Santa Pe New.....remarks on the republican victory in MAINE: There will be two cl
ASses of people.....stand; divided we fall.'" The report then GOES on to spea
of the perilous situation of.....weeks predicting and hoping for disASter in
MAINE. If they could only point to the fact..
Decatur, Illinois Wednesday, September 20, 1882  889 k

Trenton Evening Times - 10/23/1896
...The November Forum will contain: "AS MAINE GOES, so GOES the a trenchant
article, by the.....faction will'bave'the (Ontrol of it, AS well AS of all
other departments _ of tho.....of partisan sway. This proposal is almost AS bnfl
AS aiming a bullet at the flag of our.....Republicau, who hAS become vury
conspicuous AS a machine man since Mr. Lauterbacb served..
Trenton, New Jersey   Friday, October 23, 1896  789 k

Perry Chief - 9/14/1876
...of at leASt five thousand. "AS MAINE GOES, so GOES the Union." Buch bein;
the cASe.....closely followed by the sturdy voters of MAINE, who have spoken
in tones that will.....nnd fifty-two minutes. In the Cist round GOES on his
knees ncd struck by Allcu, on.....will be in the neighborhood of And thus it GOES
. Vermont first sent the country grceticg..
Perry, Iowa Thursday, September 14, 1876  301 k

BACK TO SQUARE ONE

   Pg. 17.  Titelman says "early 1960s, but gives no citations.
   The 1949 citation below is really from 1993!  FOR ILLUSTRATION ONLY! DON'T
USE IT!

Chronicle Telegram - 8/27/1949
...Methodist Church. Lorain plan goes 'BACK TO SQUARE ONE' Lawrence Budd The
Chronicle.....As far as I'm concerned, we're BACK TO SQUARE ONE. However,
Metelsky, chairman of.....City Council member TO say the plan goes TO SQUARE ONE.
Service DirecTOr Rocky Ortiz.....at Bowling Green State University and was ONE
of 40 teachers selected from applicants..
Elyria, Ohio Saturday, August 27, 1949  621 k

Post Crescent - 9/3/1967
...vicTOry TOok the Chinese economy BACK TO SQUARE ONE. All American aid was
withdrawn.....and nuclear armament, TO turn BACK TO an agrarian economy. They
accordingly.....s According TO internal Chinese estimate, ONE of Stalin's
biggest mistakes was failure.....Pof omoc Dick Gregory wants Negroes TO bet BACK
at capitalists by boycotting Christmas..
Appleton, Wisconsin Sunday, September 03, 1967  718 k

Chronicle Telegram - 4/25/1967
...Death has brought both nations BACK TO SQUARE ONE in the moon said 'an
eminent.....s shattered body was cremated and brought BACK TO Moscow, his home TO
wn, TO lie in.....the urn of ashes before it is taken TO Red SQUARE later this
week for a hero's funeral.....attempt, planned for a.m., got TO within ONE
second of lifTOff when an auTOmatic..
Elyria, Ohio Tuesday, April 25, 1967  668 k

BALL IS IN YOUR COURT

   Pg. 18.  Titelman says "mid-twentieth century."

Chronicle Telegram - 4/13/1971
...counterINg the Red ChINa lobby. The BALL IS IN YOUR COURT. eral Mitchell
when they say no.....IN 1954 he voted for legal wiretappINg on COURT order. The
57-year-old representative.....crime field. These were INstalled under a
COURT order obtaINed under provISions of the.....people technology IS out and
nostalgia IS IN. Many are more INterested IN clean..
Elyria, Ohio Tuesday, April 13, 1971  717 k

BEHIND EVERY MAN THERE IS A GREAT WOMAN

   Pg. 20.  Titelman's first date here is 1977.

Ames Daily Tribune - 2/2/1955
...Peace' VES.gTHEL, THEM'S A WOMAN BEHIND, EVERY MAN I'VE BEEN BEHIND FRED
THAT'S.....an assignment, but much to his liking for BEHIND the scenes and out
of the political.....functions held in Washington almost EVERY day. He doesn't
have time for them. He.....Added to White House Staff as Idea MAN By PETER
ED6ON ..NEA WaiUiifton..
Ames, Iowa Wednesday, February 02, 1955  749 k

Bennington Evening Banner - 6/22/1955
...The Safford Street Sage Says That BEHIND EVERY MAN Who Succeeds There's a
WoMAN and.....KING CO. CLEANERS POWNAL A Massachusetts MAN was critically
injured and five vehicles.....The Banner this morning that the injured MAN was in
a "precarious" condition and just.....righted the car and removed the injured
MAN; who was pinned between the car and the..
Bennington, Vermont Wednesday, June 22, 1955  716 k

Gettysburg Times - 8/28/1954
...because he enjoyed it noted that BEHIND EVERY MAN stands a woMAN and
introduced Mrs.....to the life, the happiness, the future of EVERY person, EVERY
youngster riding, walking.....A steering wheel. And you're my captain. BEHIND me
you're the lord and master of a.....And Profit To Our GOOD EVENING A mart MAN
dlwhartw duttM promptly and fete rid of..
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania Saturday, August 28, 1954  956 k

THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE

   Pg. 23.  Titleman says "Originated in the United States in 1927 and
usually attributed to Buddy G. De Silva whose song 'The Best Things in Life are
Free' became a hit in the Broadway musical _Good News_ (music by Ray Henderson)."

Sandusky Star Journal - 11/20/1917
...the Name of Ireland. Hugh Doaovan. The BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE Henry
Burr. For You a.....that make a man want to up and look his BEST. It tickles
us all to make the good old.....you IN a few words. THE NORTH WESTERN TCAL LIFE
CO. R. D. KUNZ, Bell 524-K. lies. 193-R.....the time, We've helped many a man
look his BEST; we're doINg it every day. We're ready..
Sandusky, Ohio Tuesday, November 20, 1917  434 k
   20 November 1917, SANDUSKY STAR-JOURNAL (Sandusky, Ohio), pg. 6, col. 1:
_Herman_
Places
COLUMBIA GRONOLA
RECORDS
For December on Sale Today
(...)
   The Best Things in Life Are Free--Henry Burr.

(To be continued--ed.)