F.T.L. (and "baby boomeranger")

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Dec 30 04:28:43 UTC 2003

At 4:20 PM -0500 12/22/03, Mark A. Mandel wrote:
>(And I only knew it as "faster than light".)
>
>>>From the NY Times:
>
>         >>>

>December 22, 2003
>For More People in 20's and 30's, Home Is Where the Parents Are
>By TAMAR LEWIN
>
>         [...]
>
>Nancy Dye, president of Oberlin College, said that whereas most graduates
>used to go straight on to graduate school, having chosen at least a
>preliminary career path, many now stick around, uncertain of their
>direction. A few years ago, she said, "students came up with a new term,
>F.T.L. failure to launch."
>
>In interviews with dozens of 20-somethings, most say they share a sense
>that there is no right time to have completed their education, lived on
>their own or gotten married, that such fixed expectations have no place in
>their lives. And many see it as beneficial to step slowly and gradually
>into adult life.

============
To the Editor:

  Regarding your Dec. 22 news article about the "transitional adults"
living with their parents, it seems that the baby boomers have raised
a generation of baby boomerangers! Having raised six children, none
of whom now live at home, we suddenly feel very lucky.

  DANIEL R. SZEKELY
  DEBORAH L. GORDON
  Anchorage, Dec. 22, 2003
--There are a lot of cites for "baby boomerang", actually, but I
don't see any offhand with the relevant meaning, and none at all for
"baby boomeranger".