Southern by grace of God (1987); South rise (1949); Us chickens (1937)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Dec 30 05:40:58 UTC 2003

AMERICAN BY BIRTH, SOUTHERN BY THE GRACE OF GOD

   Who said it?
   The AMERICAN HERITAGE DICTIONARY OF AMERICAN QUOTATIONS (1997) doesn't
have it.  I don't know what Fred has.

(LIBRARY OF CONGRESS)
Southern by the grace of God [sound recording] : Lynyrd Skynyrd tribute tour,
1987.
Universal City, Calif. : MCA, p1988.
1 sound disc : digital, stereo. ; 4 3/4 in.

(CATNYP)
Title Southern by the grace of God / Michael Andrew Grissom.
Imprint Nashville, Tenn. (P.O. Box 158766, Nashville 37215) : Rebel Press,
c1988

(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Gettysburg Times - 3/9/1988
...raised: "American BY birth, SOUTHERN BY THE GRACE OF GOD." I was SOUTHE
RN-raised but not.....born; SOUTHERN, that is, BY accident OF my
parents.....sitting beside a slab OF country ham. SOUTHERN THEologians will tell you that THE
.....to dig up. And THEy eat snails. Except in SOUTHERN France, OF course,
where THEy..
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania Wednesday, March 09, 1988  602 k
   9 March 1988, GETTYSBURG TIMES (Gettysburg, Pennsylvania), pg. 3A, col. 1:
_"Aigs," grits and snails_
By T. W. BURGER
   There's an expression popular in the South where I was raised: "American
by birth, Southern by the grace of God."

(AUGUSTA ARCHIVES)
   29 June 1989, AUGUSTA CHRONICLE (GA), pg. 7, col. 1:
   You've heard the phrase, "American by birth, Southern by the grace of
God."

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
... A common bumper sticker in the South is: American by birth Southern by
the grace
of God The South likes being part of the Union as much as the North likes ...

talk.politics.mideast - Sep 14, 1990 by cms at dragon.uucp

... birth... Communications Hardware Test and Evaluation | Southern by the
| Grace of God | | Opinions don't necessary | reflect my own... ...
comp.dcom.modems - Jun 1, 1989 by Jeff Kilpatrick

... sound. This particular Morse performance is included on the "Southern
by the Grace of God" tribute album by Lynyrd Skynyrd. Steve ...
rec.music.misc - Apr 8, 1989 by Jim Greenlee

SSOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN

   ADS-L has had this post:

>> If the Ancestry.com jockeys (Barry & Sam) are looking for things to search>
 on that database, here are nine sayings for which I would be interested in>
whether Ancestry has anything earlier than the dates indicated:>> The butler
did it (anything before 1938)> Not tonight, Josephine (anything before 1911)>
In God we trust; all others pay cash (anything before 1890)> May you live in
interesting times (anything before 1939)> The South will rise again (anything
before 1950)> Defeat from the jaws of victory (anything before 1891)> Meanwhile,
back at the ranch (anything before 1944)> There's nobody here but us chickens
(anything before 1963)> Close, but no cigar (anything before 1935)>> >>
Fred Shapiro

   And this answer:

Subject:      South still not rising over at ancestry
"Nothing on ancestry.com from 1910-1952 for "The South will rise again."

(AUGUSTA ARCHIVES)
      16 February 1956, AUGUSTA CHRONICLE, Pg. 1, col. 3:
_South has already risen!_
   By   Lloyd  Parker
     People who have continually said, "The South will rise again," shouldn't
change tgheir line.  The South has already risen!

(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Berkshire Evening Eagle - 12/6/1950
...of SOUTHern solidarity. "The SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN" has had a flurry among
orchestras.....there is no cluinceja fad. but. the Oltl SOUTH is now in 'if
making them understand I.....and a violin concerto. In 19.10 and I AGAIN in
1914 he visited the United His last.....taciturn. Confederate Flag Fad Sweeping
Old SOUTH can. bo done only through music." And..
Pittsfield, Massachusetts Wednesday, December 06, 1950  676 k

Reno Evening Gazette - 9/17/1949
...Confederate Money, Boys, the SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN." This song is
delivered with.....never fight on foreign soil AGAIN. But the SOUTH Is beginning lo
feel pretty cocky about.....afford some indication to the temper of the SOUTH.
The gong Is called, with charming.....und upset curs all ai'ound, all around.
The SOUTH all thp terrific fuss that was ntlrrod..

Reno, Nevada Saturday, September 17, 1949  794 k
   17 September 1949, RENO EVENING GAZETTE (Reno, Nevada), pg. 4, col.6:
   _--Bob Ruark_
_It's a Wonderfil Life_
   ATLANTA, Sept. 17.--There is a very popular song down here these days,
whcih may afford some indication to the temper of the south.  The song is called,
with charming directness: "Save Your Confederate Money, Boys, the South Will
Rise Again."

"AIN'T NOBODY HERE BUT US CHICKENS"

   ADS-L has seen this post:

""Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens," written by Joan Whitney and Alex
Kramer, was recorded by Louis Jordan on 6-26-46, according to the liner notes to The
Best of Louis Jordan.
John Baker

   And this post:

"Fred,
Nothing on 'Nobody here 'cept us chickens.'  from 1963-1930.
I'll do this one back to the 1880's as it sounds like it should be older.
Sam

(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Edwardsville Intelligencer - 12/23/1937
...of 'Who's replied: "There's nojody here BUT US CHICKENS, boss." Nojody
knew that she had.....sang out instantly, There's nobody here BUT US shoes." One
day she was singing as she.....you. That is import ant. Most of you expect US
to be good looking, BUT on that score we.....to make love to US the first time
you take US out Not becaUSe we have BUT becaUSe it is..
Edwardsville, Illinois Thursday, December 23, 1937  678 k

Indiana Evening Gazette - 12/15/1937
...of "Who's replied: "There's nobody here BUT US CHICKENS, boss." Nobody
knew that she had.....sang out instantly. "There's nobody here BUT US shoes." One
day she was singing as she.....colors are the thint: for country wear, BUT
not elsewhere. 8. Don't wear your clothes.....beHave there is somebody in this
cupboard." BUT the stowaway..
Indiana, Pennsylvania Wednesday, December 15, 1937  789 k
   15 December 1937, INDIANA EVENING GAZETTE (Indiana, Pennsylvania), pg. 10,
col. 3:
_Your Children_
By OLIVE ROBERTS BARTON
(...)
      _Surprising Memories_
   Deedie had heard the story, perhaps months before, of the chicken thief
who, to the owner's demand of "Who's there?" replied: "There's nobody here...but
us chickens, boss."  Nobody knew that she had understood.  Besides all those
weeks had elapsed.
   One day she hid in the closet.  Her mother went about pretending to hunt.
"Where's Deedie?"  Finally she winked at me and said, "I do believe there is
somebody in this cupboard."  But the stowaway sang out instantly, "There's
nobody here but us shoes."