Groundhog Day; Knishes; Break a Leg

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Feb 2 09:02:59 UTC 2003

GROUNDHOG DAY--Happy Groundhog Day!  I don't know if "Groundhog Day" will
make it as slang, based on the movie with Bill Murray.  "Groundhog Day" is
used as a term for a situation that occurs over and over, like...

WHERE ARE THE KNISHES OF YESTERYEAR?--This story is in the City section of
today's Sunday NEW YORK TIMES:
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/02/nyregion/02KNISH.html
   I posted here that the earliest knishes in New York City were made on
Rivington Street, from about 1906.  This was not mentioned, and no one in the
story probably even heard of THE MEDIATOR or THE JEWISH BAKERS' VOICE.
   This is about the millionth time that the NEW YORK TIMES has not mentioned
my work or my name for a food story where I clearly have the earliest and
best research.
   It's like the movie GROUNDHOG DAY.

BREAK A LEG--I've looked into this a little more, especially after seeing THE
PRODUCERS.
   From THE PLAYMAKERS (NY: W. W. Norton & Company, Inc., 1970) by Stuart W.
Little & Arthur Cantor, pg. 90:

   Implicit in the relationship of actor and audience are violence and
hostility: the cliche phrases associated with this relationship abound in
references to destruction, death, and sexual conquest.  "_Merde_" and "Break
a leg"* are common actor's telegrams.  The victory shouts of actors after
triumphant performances are filled with violent images:
   "I killed them tonight."
   "We mowed 'em down."
   "I laid them in the aisles."
   Conversely, if the show goes poorly, an actor will say, "We died out there
tonight" or "We bombed" or "It just laid there."
*Originally, _Hals und Beinbruchi_, from the German.

(If an actor "breaks a leg," is he making a "turkey"?--ed.)