Food Court (1982)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Feb 3 05:11:10 UTC 2003

   "Food court" is the term used for the area of a mall or shopping center that has your fast food chains all in a row.  I've seen the term "food court" used internationally.
   (NOTE:  Although I'm a judge and a lawyer, this is not a legal term.)
   "Food court" is not in OED or in Merriam-Webster.

   18 July 1982, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. WC10:
_Westchester/This Week_ (...)  Food Court of The Galleria.
(There were a few earlier "hits" in the TIMES classifieds, but my eyes couldn't find them.  The Galleria dates from about 1981--ed.)

   This is the first trademark record.  The Rouse Company is a major developer of shopping malls:

Word Mark THE FOOD COURT
Goods and Services IC 042. US 100. G & S: RESTAURANT SERVICES. FIRST USE: 19830930. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19830930
Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number 73493405
Filing Date August 6, 1984
Published for Opposition September 24, 1985
Registration Number 1374311
Registration Date December 3, 1985
Owner (REGISTRANT) ROUSE COMPANY, THE CORPORATION MARYLAND 10275 LITTLE PATUXENT PARKWAY COLUMBIA MARYLAND 21044
Attorney of Record LEAH J. SEARS-COLLINS
Disclaimer NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "FOOD" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN
Type of Mark SERVICE MARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Affidavit Text SECT 15. SECT 8 (6-YR).
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

   This is the first record on OCLC WorldCat:

Title: Simply scrumptious.
Corp Author(s): Food Court. ; Highland Mall.
Publication: [Austin, Tex.? : Highland Mall,
Year: 1984
Language: English
 SUBJECT(S)
Descriptor: Cookery -- Texas -- Austin.
Named Corp: Food Court.
Note(s): Spiral bound./ "The Simply Scrumptious Cookbook is a special limited edition commemorating the grand opening of the Food Court. It is filled with dozens of delicious recipes from Austin's fine stores at Highland Mall ... October, 1984."
Document Type: Book
Entry: 19881129
Update: 19980827
Accession No: OCLC: 18809615