Grenadine syrup (1885); McQuain & Barnette new books

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Feb 4 02:47:17 UTC 2003

GRENADINE SYRUP

   OED has 1896 for "grenadine" syrup.  It's an ingredient in many mixed drinks.

   3 May 1885, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 14:
   "Syrup of Grenadine" dutiable at 20 per cent. ad valorem as a fruit juice, under paragraph 301. (Letter to Collector of Customs at New-York.)

McQUAIN & BARNETTE NEW BOOKS

   These two new books came up on my Amazon.com alert for "etymology."
   Jeffrey McQuain is the former William Safire assistant who I gave my "Big Apple" stuff to about a decade ago and who wasn't kind enough to ever respond.  I think he's an ADS member.
   Martha Barnette is treading the Robert Hendrickson path of word theme books using outdated information.  Her food book, LADYFINGERS AND NUN'S TUMMIES, repeated every false etymology or "fakelore" known to man.  This new book is about animal-named words.  Someone ought to tell her that Christine Ammer did all this before!

Coined By God: Words and Phrases That First Appear in English Translations of the Bible
by Stanley Malless, Jeffrey McQuain
Publication date: February 2003
Publisher: W.W. Norton & Company
Binding:Hardcover
Subjects: Bible; English; Versions

Dog Days and Dandelions
by Martha Barnette (Author)
Publication date: February 2003
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Binding:Hardcover
Subjects: English language; Etymology; Dictionaries