Hans Blix: "Five minutes to midnight"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Feb 5 01:21:22 UTC 2003

   "Five minutes to midnight"?
   What about the old "YOU'RE RUNNING OUT OF TIME!"
   The Doomsday Clock has its famous "minutes to midnight" report about the
nuclear threats around the globe.  There was a novel called TWO MINUTES TO
MIDNIGHT and a rodeo horse called FIVE MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT, as Googling the
many hits shows.  OED for "minute" or "midnight"?
   After midnight, we're gonna let it all hang down.

Yahoo! News   Tue, Feb 04, 2003
Blix warns Iraq that it's "five minutes to midnight" and pleads for Iraq to
produce evidence of weapons programs
Tue Feb 4, 2:51 PM ET

By EDITH M. LEDERER, Associated Press Writer UNITED NATIONS - Warning Iraq
that it's "five minutes to midnight," Chief U.N. inspector Hans Blix pleaded
with the Iraqi government Tuesday to show that it is actively cooperating
during his visit this weekend by producing evidence about its weapons
programs.
He told a news conference that Baghdad should take seriously U.S. Ambassador
John Negroponte's warning that the diplomatic window is closing and the
prospect of military action is looming. "I don't think that the end is there —
 that a date has been set for an armed action," Blix said. "But I think that
we're moving closer and closer to it, and therefore it seems to me that the
Iraqi leadership must be well aware of that." But Blix said that so far the
prepared to provide the critical information that he and nuclear inspection
chief Mohamed ElBaradei are hoping for during their Feb. 8-9 visit to
Baghdad. That visit takes place five days before their Feb. 14 report to the
Security Council, which many diplomats consider to be critical in determining
whether there will be war or peace in Iraq. "I'm pleading for Iraq to enter
cooperation on substance," Blix said. "The essential point," he said, is for
Iraq to assure inspectors and the Security Council "that it will actively
seek and present any items or programs which are proscribed or else, if they
are not there, to seek and present credible evidence for their absence." He
suggested that the commission of inquiry that Iraq set up after inspectors
discovered chemical warheads be given more power and be extended to search
for biological weapons. Such a commission, he said, could "really look around
the country and see what is hidden by whoever, and come up with it and also
come up with a viable mechanism for providing evidence that they have not
given us so far." "If they really give us hope that, yes, we'll have the same
determination on the substance as they have undeniably been, largely, on the
process — that would be the best thing that we would come away with," Blix
said. But he warned that time was running out, even though he and others have
said they would welcome more time for inspections. "Isn't there five minutes
to midnight in your political assessment?," he asked reporters. A reporter
then asked whether that was Blix's assessment. "Well certainly," he said. "We
all know that the situation is very serious."