from today's NewScan: Mondegreens

Towse self at TOWSE.COM
Wed Feb 5 21:25:32 UTC 2003

vida morkunas wrote:

> WORTH THINKING ABOUT: MONDEGREENS AND OTHER LINGUISTIC FAUX PAS
>
>       In his recent book "A Word a Day," Anu Garg writes:
>       Face it, you have been guilty of it since early childhood. Beginning
> with the nursery rhymes you heard on the playground to the national anthem
> you recited in school to crooning with the love songs on the radio, you have
> been misinterpreting and repeating them. Now you know there is a word for it
> (mondegreen) and that you are not alone. Luckily there is no Mondegreen
> Police. No matter what your native tongue, chances are you have experienced
> mondegreens in your language.

One of my favorite columnists likes to write about Mondegreens.

Jon Carroll - Red, White And Mondegreen - 16 Feb 1995
<http://tinyurl.com/5ecg>

Jon Carroll - more Mondegreen columns
<http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/carroll/mondegreens.shtml>

Sal
--
3K+ useful links for writers, researchers and the terminally
curious <http://www.internet-resources.com/writers/>