final "oo" in Sicilian dialect

Peter Farruggio pfarr at UCLINK4.BERKELEY.EDU
Thu Feb 6 02:30:35 UTC 2003

Two comments:

I think this vowel substitution may not be limited to the Sicilian
dialect(s), but may be common to several Southern Italian regions.  I have
found it among Neopolitan-derived folks in the US (T Soprano's roots, by
the way).

Second, the substitution seems to occur frequently in other syllables, not
just the last syllable of a word.
  "Moozzarell__" for mozzarella is the biggest example that comes to mind
(this also captures the tendency to silence the final vowel in words where
the penultimate syllable is stressed)

Pete Farruggio