Pemmican was C, D, K Rations (1942); MRE (1978)

Page Stephens hpst at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Feb 7 19:54:20 UTC 2003

A friend of mine who was a physiologist recently deceased dammit helped the
US develop a new form of pemmican as a hard ration during WWII. It had very
little relationship to pemmican as it was known to native Americans:

To get more information on the origins of the term pemmican look up the
following url.

http://collections.ic.gc.ca/notukeu/pemmican_e1.htm

The reason my friend Robert Johnson who was a physiologist helped develop
this new form of pemmican was because according to their knowledge at the
time the native American/eskimo recipe was inadequate for nutrition.

The new formulation of pemmican was criticized by such people as Vilhjamur
Stefansson the Arctic explorer whose belief in the virtues of a mostly fat
and protein diet predated Atkins's ideas on the subject by almost 30 years.

Any more information you might have on this subject would be of interest to
me.

Page Stephens