What _are_ the Canadian dialects of English?

Dan Goodman dsgood at VISI.COM
Sat Feb 8 06:11:31 UTC 2003

Perhaps I gave up too soon.  But googling didn't turn up anything
which looked informative.  The last site I looked at seemed to be
saying that there's _one_ Canadian dialect.  Which doesn't explain
why Montreal English sounds almost accentless to me (I'm from a few
miles west of the Hudson, in the Catskills area), while Manitoban
English definitely sounds different. (At least some Manitobans sound
similar to Minnesotans in some ways, to me.  That brings up another
set of questions, about whether dialects stop neatly at the US-
Canadian border.)