Bok Choy (1899)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Feb 10 02:13:46 UTC 2003

   Merriam-Webster has 1938 for "bok choy."
   OED has--are they working on it?  32,600 Google hits.  NOTHING IN OED?  Forget it's a part of world cuisine.  Make believe it's a Bart Simpson word.  No, I'm sure they're working on it as we speak.  It's a new word.

   October 1899, CURRENT LITERATURE (American Periodical Series online), "New York's Chinese Farms--New York Evening Post," pg. 341:
   The first crop produced is a little plant which looks much like cloves.  It is called "yun tsoi," and is highly esteemed by the Chinese as a soup ingredient.  (...)
   It is "kai tsoi" and "bok tsoi," or green and white kale.  Chinese kale resembles American kale only in appearance.  In taste it is intensely sharp and pungent, like most Chinese vegetables.  "Kai tsoi" and "bok tsoi" are used in soup.  The white kale sprouts are stewed as a separate dish, and are regarded as a delicacy.