Ozark Pudding (1949)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Feb 11 03:13:27 UTC 2003

>OZARK PUDDING--Not in DARE.  The NYT is not the best for this, obviously.
>    14 March 1949, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 22:
>    Mrs. Harry Truman not only wrote the foreword, but also
>contributed her recipe for a regional dish of Missouri, Ozark
>pudding.
>(The Congressional Club Cookbook--ed.)

Reminds me--is the derivation of "Ozark" from "Aux Arcs", supposedly
applied to the Quapaw Indians because they used bows, generally
accepted as valid, or just fanciful?  Is there an alternative (more
boring but better supported) theory?  The OED takes us as far as the
"Aux Arcs" but doesn't bring in the idea that they were bowed,
leaving the name looking like a folk etymology in French.  The AHD
doesn't even hazard an etymology, maybe a general practice it
observes for proper names.

Larry