Daylight SavingS Time

Towse self at TOWSE.COM
Tue Feb 11 04:08:07 UTC 2003

sagehen wrote:

> Another odd thing about this expression is where the emphasis lies.  Unlike
> LABOR-saving or TIME-saving, where the  noun gets the stress, DST is always
> stressed on the "Savings."  The meanings aren't quite parallel, of course.
> Daylight Shifting Time would be closer to the mark. In that case it would
> be natural to put the stress on Shifting.

I wrote about daylight saving*s time and Y2K and calendars a
couple years back
<http://www.computerbits.com/archive/1999/1200/surf9912.html>
with more links than you'd probably want to pursue.

This reference <http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/b.html>
says the "s" has come into use because it is more mellifluous and
also suggests "shifting" as an alternative expansion of the "S"
in DST.

I think those who are saying "savings account" and "savings and
loan" may have something to do with the appended "s" are probably
on the track.

Sal
--
3K+ useful links for writers, researchers and the terminally
curious <http://www.internet-resources.com/writers/>