Hoisin Sauce (1959); Porter house (1842); Shrimp Chips (1940)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Feb 11 07:14:23 UTC 2003

HOISIN SAUCE

   Not in OED?  There are over 18,000 Google hits. Enter it!  This is from About.com:

 Culinary Dictionary of Ingredients and Cooking Terms - H
Hoisin Sauce (Photo)  - A thick sauce valued for its unique combination of sweet and spicy flavors, hoisin sauce is made from soybean paste and flavored with garlic, sugar, chilies, and other spices and ingredients.  It is used in cooking, as a dipping sauce, and is a key ingredient in many Chinese barbecue sauce recipes. In addition, it is also used to glaze roasted meat. Hoisin sauce is available in both jars and cans.  If purchased in a can, transfer to a closed container and refrigerate.  If purchased in a jar, refrigerate after opening. Recommended Brand - Pearl River Bridge

   AMERICAN SPEECH, Spring 1988, has "hoisin sauce" in an article titled "Chinese borrowing in English."
   It's a bit late hitting the NEW YORK TIMES, but it's common now.

   19 June 1959, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 16:
   Hoisin sauce is an inscrutable mixture of spices and plums.

PORTER HOUSE

   I couldn't do any better than 1842 for the steak.  OED has 1758 for "porter house," and this is from Literature Online:

Stevens, George Alexander, 1710-1784 [Author Record]
THE Birth-Day of FOLLY, AN Heroi-Comical POEM, With Notes Variorum. 21Kb, [from The Birth-Day of Folly (1755)]
Found 1 hit:
...[note] A  Porter-house in Butcher Row, when every...

SHRIMP CHIP
   10 November 1940, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 136:
   From Honolulu come little shrimp chips, to be served with soup, salad, or cocktails.  Of shrimp paste mixed with a bit of gelatine, after about a minute and a half in the deep fat fryer they are crisp and puffy.

Word Mark KING'S KRUPUK SIDOARDJO
Translations THE WORD "KRUPUK" MEANS "CHIP," AND THE WORD "SIDOARDJO" MEANS "SHRIMP."
Goods and Services (EXPIRED) IC 029. US 046. G & S: SHRIMP FLAVORED TAPIOCA FLOURBASED TREAT. FIRST USE: 19710222. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19710222
Mark Drawing Code (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
Design Search Code 261709
Serial Number 72421813
Filing Date April 19, 1972
Registration Number 0970869
Registration Date October 16, 1973
Owner (REGISTRANT) KOEGLER, WILLIAM J. DBA WILLIAM J. KOEGLER'S FOOD PRODUCTS OF INDONESIA UNKNOWN 30 9TH AVE. DANBURY CONNECTICUT
Disclaimer THE WORDS "KRUPUK" AND "SIDOARDJO" ARE DISCLAIMED FROM THE MARK AS A WHOLE.
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Affidavit Text SECT 15. SECT 8 (6-YR).
Live/Dead Indicator DEAD

PRAWN CRACKER
   1 February 1973, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 24:
   Prawn crackers (or shrimp toast, $1.10), which are brittle, are carefully lodged in shredded paper.

SHRIMP CRACKER
   8 September 1974, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 89:
   A boxed shrimp cracker, the kroepoeck, is another Dutch-Indonesian favorite soon to be found on shelves here.

(OT: SRI LANKA--I will be leaving for Sri Lanka on Tuesday afternoon.  This is about my 85th country, most in the past five years.  If my United Airlines flight doesn't crash or I don't die in the island's 20-year civil war, I'll be back in New York City on February 26th to do more parking tickets, my sole reason for living--ed.)