possessive-S

David Bergdahl bergdahl at OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU
Tue Feb 11 19:15:26 UTC 2003

Relevant to the discussion of Driver'S Ed / License &c. is the [now
archived] discussion we've had about Kroger'S et alli.  For instance, Thom
Harrison writes in March 2002 that

<snip> In the part of the US where I
grew up and still live (the Southeast), people add -s fairly
indiscriminately, particularly to the names of retail stores.  I had always
interpreted this as a superfluous possessive.  Sears already has an -s, but
people add it to Belk's, and now K-Mart's, Wal-Mart's, and Kroger's, as it
"I'm going to Wal-Mart's.  You need anything?" </snip>