Kansas

Bruce Hunter bhunter3 at MINDSPRING.COM
Tue Feb 11 21:31:30 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Beverly Flanigan" <flanigan at OHIOU.EDU>
> Since "Sioux" is not a language, I assume this is from one of the languages in the Siouan family--that spoken by the Quapaw, as in Arkansas?  In other words, were the Quapaw (a tribe I'm not familiar with) in the Kansas
territory too?

Yes, the southern plains area includes Siouan-Dhegiha speakers such as Kansa, Iowa, Omaha, Osage, Ponca and Quapaw, and were sometimes referred to as the "Southern Sioux", but only because of the linguistic similarities.

From: 7th Annual Report of the Bureau of Ethnology, 1885-1886, 1891 printing...
Kaw is equivalent to Kansa
Quapaw is equivalent to Ukaqpa is equivalent to Kwapa who where the Arkansa earlier.

HTH,
Bruce