Sudi-Mampir

Towse self at TOWSE.COM
Tue Feb 11 23:12:48 UTC 2003

Laurence Horn wrote:

> At 11:56 AM -0500 2/11/03, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
> >
> >1950s INDONESIAN MENU--The Los Angeles Public Library has an online menu from
> >SUDI-MAMPIR of Santa Monica from the 1950s (no written date).  It includes
> >"Gado-Gado  Indonesian salad" and "Kroepoek ordang  prawn cracker."
>
> Hey, that was a great place.  It was still going strong in the
> mid-to-late 1960s, and was my first exposure to gado-gado, rijstaffel
> (many google hits but no results in the OED!), and other Indonesian
> food--well before I visited Holland, where it's the best thing to eat
> (besides street-corner herring).  In those days, there were no
> Indonesian places in New York, and I don't think many others in the
> L.A. area.

Being the curious sort, I checked Amazon's beta restaurant guide.
<http://www.amazon.com>
search product: Restaurants (Beta)
search: indonesian

Times have changed.

According to Amazon, Venture Frogs on Van Ness at O'Farrell in
San Francisco offers Sichuan Fries (crispy potato fries sprinkled
with star anise & Sichuan pepper salt), Todd's Favorite Don Don
Noodle (hot egg nooodles with spicy peanut sauce, served with
fresh cucumber, carrots, and crushed peanuts) and pages of other
treats on their menu.

I'm hungry.

Sal
--
3K+ useful links for writers, researchers and the terminally
curious <http://www.internet-resources.com/writers/>