spoonerisms

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Fri Feb 14 02:34:16 UTC 2003

   For an article on spoonerisms, see Barry Popik and Gerald Cohen: "Spoonerism
Arose From The 'Woolish Fit' Of Oxford Undergraduates." in: _Studies
in Slang, Part VI_, by Barry A. Popik and Gerald Leonard Cohen_.
(Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang), 1999, pp.91-92.

    Barry, in his sleuthing, turned up a Jan. 27, 1924 article in the
_NY Tribune_, Part II, p. 30/6-7. An interesting observation there is
that
Spooner never said most of the spoonerisms attributed to him:
"Indeed, Dr. Spooner himself is said to have declared that most of
the transpositions attributed to him were due to the 'woolish fit' of
Oxford undergraduates."

   David Shulman has already demonstrated that the term "hot dog" is
traceable to the irreverent humor of college students. Barry has
demonstrated that at least one more item (spoonerism) arose similarly.

Gerald Cohen