Airline Slang; airline names

Steve Cornelius scorn at PACIFIC.NET.AU
Fri Feb 14 04:03:54 UTC 2003

paulzjoh wrote:

>At one time I used to know several nicknames for airlines
>At present all I remember is:
>SAS= Sex and Satisfaction
>Perhaps the older fliers among us can remember more.

I hadn't got that one, so thanks for adding one to my collection. From this
list, I have deleted a few of, let us say, the more ribald. If you are not
possessed of particularly delicate sensibilities, and want to know some
fairly ripe initialisms for GARUDA (Indonesia), LUFTHANSA (Germany) and
EAST-WEST (an Australian domestic airline, now defunct), please contact me
off-list. If you think the QANTAS items below are a bit near the bone, you
obviously don't live in Australia.

Regards
Steve Cornelius
Sydney, Australia

AIR NEW ZEALAND:   Aircraft In Repair, No Engine Working, Zany Engineers
Are Late, And No Departures
ALITALIA (Italian):   At Lengthy Intervals The Aircraft Loses Incredible
Altitude
BOAC (British, now defunct):   Blast Off And Crash
BA (British Airways):   Bad Airline
CAAC (Chinese):   China Airways Always Cancelled
JAL (Japanese):   Japanese Always Late
MAS (Malaysian):   Makes Asians Sick
MIAT (Mongolian):   Maybe I'll Arrive Tomorrow
OLYMPIC (Greek):   Onassis Likes Your Money Paid In Cash
PAN-AM:   Pilots Are Not Allowed Mandies
QANTAS:   Queens And Neurotic Tarts And Sluts
QANTAS:   Queens And Nymphomaniacs Trained As Stewards
QANTAS:   Quick And Nasty, Try Another Service
SABENA (Belgian):   Such A Bloody Experience, Never Again
TAA (Australian, now defunct):   Take Another Airline
THAI:   The Hostesses Are Insane