TRADITIONAL FOODS of Sri Lanka (1997)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Feb 14 16:01:11 UTC 2003

FACETS OF SRI LANKA 2

TRADITIONAL FOODS & COOKERY DOWN THE AGES
by Doreen Alles
Navinna, Maharagama, Sri Lanka: Tharangee Prints
110 pages, paperback
First published in 1997
Reprinted in 1999

   This little book was just the thing I was looking for!  I was too tired after the city tour to get maybe an hour in the national library, but this book did most of the work for me.
   Pages 95-96:  A nice food bibliography.
   Pages 99-103:  APPENDIX II List of Vegetables, Leaves and Condiments.
   Pages 104-107:  APPENDIX III Glossary of Sinhala Words.  (Too long to re-type here.)

Pg. 108:
_Anglicized words_
Bamboo--Bambusa vulgaris
Buriyani--type of savoury rice
Cadjans--woven coconut branches
Chatties--clay cooking pots
Chena--dry land cultivation
Chundu also shundu--quarter of a measure
Conjee--porridge or gruel
Coolie--labourer
Curry--a dish cooked with condiments
Dhall--lentils
Ekels--mid-rib of each coconut leaf
Hoppers--a breakfast food (Again, this "Anglicized word" is not in the OED--ed.)
Jaggery--palm sugar
Jak--variety of fruit
Mulligatawny--soup
Pappadam-thin circles of dough for frying
Pilaff--type of savoury rice of stringhoppers
Pingo--mode of carrying goods
Sambol--a relish
Shundu also chundu--a quarter of a measure--a cigarette tinful
Stringhoppers--breakfast food
Tank--an artificial inland lake
Tempering--sauteing

_Dutch Words_
Blachang--dried prawn sambol
Breudher--dough cake
Frickadels--meat balls
Pg. 109:
Ijzer kokis--a sweetmeat
Lamprais--packet of savoury rice
Ogu rulong--savoury scrambled egg
Poffertje--small yeast cakes
_Portuguese Words_
Bolo de amor--love cake
Bolofolhado--sweetmeat
Boroa--cadjunut biscuits
Fougetti--sweetmeat
Pente frito--sweetmeat
Temperadu--the process of sauteing
_Malay Words_
Barbuth--the honeycomb and "towelling" tripe
Gula melaka--sago pudding
Parsong--a sweetmeat
Pastole--a savoury patty
Seenakku--a sweetmeat

SRI LANKA SEAFOOD

   The Crescat mall is near this hotel.  I went through the supermarket, but there was nothing much to report.  There was a food court (with a Pizza Hut!), a bubble tea shop, a chocolate shop, a Chinese/Korean/Indonesian/Japanese food shop, and a seafood shop there also.
   The seafood shop (Ocean Fresh) had these types of fish, most also sold at the supermarket:

Mullet; Uncleaned cuttlefish; Koduva; Kumbalawa; Seer Fish; Sea Crab; Hendella; Paraw; Jeelawa; Tiger Prawns; Tuna; Salaya; Shark; Sea Prawns; Thalapath

FROOSHIE, FALUDA; NOSTALGIA DRINK

FROOSHIE, FALUDA--the smoothie/booster/milk shake place at Crescat sells a "Frooshie," which is Orange & Banana.  A quick Google didn't turn up anything, but the name sounds familiar.
   "Faluda Special" is also offered, and these are the "Sri Lankan Faluda" and the "Bombay Special."  Maybe I'll try it tomorrow.

NOSTALGIA DRINK--The Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Indonesian food store sells "Nostalgia Drink, Shihhte--Since 1994."  (Foran antedate of "nostalgia," see ADS-L archives.)  Nostalgia?  1994?  Who can remember that far back?

MISC.

BLOODY MARY--Doesn't anyone remember when I posted the earliest citation for this?

AIRLINE LUGGAGE--I got into the hotel and opened my luggage.  A Fujifilm box was in it that was not mine, so I immediately called security.  It wasn't a bomb and it wasn't drugs--it was a camera part!  Airline security--checking so much luggage--put the wrong thing in the wrong luggage.  Another travel adventure.

BIG APPLE & DAVID LETTERMAN--I e-mailed two places on the CBS website about "the Big Apple," a question in last Friday's mailbag.  I told them that I dedicated their block as "Big Apple Corner" six years ago, was never invited on the show, and found the "joke" involving fictional thugs to be tasteless.  A friend of mine wondered what reply I'd get.
   I knew what reply I'd get.  The same reply I got from the Chicago Tribune ombudsman when informed that they'd goofed for six years on "the Windy City."
   No reply at all.