No ice(d) tea in Ceylon?; Straits Sling & Pussyfoot (1922)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Feb 15 11:30:34 UTC 2003

   Greeting again from Colombo.
   The game boards from the fourth century in the National Museum were definitely intriguing.  Might this island have been the place where "chess" was invented?

NO ICE(D) TEA IN CEYLON?

   My hotel, the Lanka Oberoi, has this:

_Tea Time at the Lounge_
Ceylon Supreme Tea
Earl Grey Tea
Mint Tea
Ginger Tea
Green Tea
Jasmine Tea
Nuwara Eliya Tea
Hibiscus and Roseship Tea
English Afternoon Tea
Roast Tea
Bio Tea
Mango Tea
Cinnamon Tea
Pineapple Tea
Passion Fruit Tea
Irish Breakfast Tea
English Breakfast Tea

   No iced tea!
   A Keells supermarket had Sathosa Tea, Panora Tea, Jana Tea, Tea Shakthi, Slimming Tea, Aphrodisiac Tea, Ceylon Tea, and Seylon Tea, but also no iced tea!
   However, three other hotels (including the Hilton) off "iced tea."
   Another Keells supermarket sold "ice tea" by Mlesna (Ceylon) Ltd ("Pure Ceylon liquid tea packed in Sri Lanka").  I just had the "soursap ice tea," and it's very good!  The ingredients for "Mlesna Tea--Naturally the Best" are "Pure natural tea extract, Natural & nature identical flavours, Sugar and water."  Nature identical?

STRAITS SLING AND PUSSYFOOT

   The visit to the national library wasn't worth much.  The few cookbooks they had weren't rare or especially old.
   I did see a copy of the much reprinted COCKTAILS AND HOW TO MIX THEM by "Robert" (Vermeire).  The book is originally from 1922 and describes a "Straits Sling."  Google for "Robert" and "cocktails and how to mix them" and see:

http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:m7SC6qz6E7cC:cocktaildb.com/mediafiles/singapore_sling.pdf+cocktails+%22how+to+mix+them%22+robert&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Pg. 52:
   _PUSSYFOOT COCKTAIL_
   This is the author's own recipe in admiration for plucky Pussyfoot Johnson, the world's total abstainer's champion.
   Fill a shaker half full of broken ice and add:
The juice of 1 lemon
The juice of 1 orange
A little plain syrip of apricot syrup
3 sprigs of mint
A little white of egg
   Shake well and strain into a small wine-glass.

(OED should include this in its "pussyfoot" entry--ed.)