FW: "slang" and "informal" as dict labels [WAS: shirty?]

Frank Abate abatefr at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Feb 17 15:15:30 UTC 2003

Larry H said:

P.S.  I know, nobody actually *says* "Ess-Eff" for the city, as
opposed to "Ell-Ay".  Anyway, whatever the original factors really
were, at this point we're talking shibboleths in both cases, so the
reason for the respective aficionados to avoid "sci-fi" and "Frisco"
is that others do; it's a nice coding device.  Evidently it hasn't
stopped anyone from accepting Otis Redding's reference to "the Frisco
Bay", but he had metrical considerations operating.
<<

Also, there is "Mean Old Frisco", a bluesy number that Clapton covered on
his Unplugged CD.  And other titles and lyrics that use "Frisco", I'm sure.

Frank Abate