"slang" and "informal" as dict labels

Michael Israel israel at WAM.UMD.EDU
Mon Feb 17 17:38:55 UTC 2003

In my experience, people in the Bay Area do occassionally refer
to San Francisco as "SF." My intuition is that this shortening
is used there much the way the term "the City" is. That is,
it is used when speaking inside the Bay Area to distinguish
SF from other local cities. Thus one might talk about going
to see a show over in SF if one is speaking to someone in, say,
Berkeley, but if you meet someone at a conference in LA or NY, you
wouldn't tell them about life in "SF", anymore than you would
presume there to refer to San Francisco as "the City."

So, "SF" would appear to be somewhere intermediate between abbreviations
which are never used in speech ("SD" for San Diego and "NY" for
New York), and those which are regularly so used (LA, KC, DC).

Michael