Tri-Shaw

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Feb 18 15:39:11 UTC 2003

TRI-SHAW--My tour guide says that the "tuktuks" came in the 1980s, and were called "tri-shaws," or three-wheeled rickshaws, before this.  (No relation to the acting vehicle "Try Shakespeare.")

TANK--The local name for "reservoir."

GEDIGE--OED?

AVIONICS--I did this, but it's not in the old ADS-L archives.

(OT:  Off to Kandy tomorrow...Today is the 79th anniversary of John J. Fitz Gerald's "Big Apple" column.  I wrote to every newspaper in the city to republish it during Black History Month and no one would, at any time, ever...I see on ANS-L that someone from the NY TIMES food section is doing restaurant names.  They already did this (see Ray's Pizza).  Somebody kill me--Tamils, anybody.  I do have one more United Airlines flight left, and that should be good enough--ed.)